Gold Prices Steady On UK Election Risk; ECB Meeting and Geopolitical Risk
Gold Prices Steady On UK Election Risk; ECB and Geopolitical Risk
* Gold prices could see strong intraday volatility – analyst
* UK election, Ex-FBI director testimony, ECB meeting set for later in the day
* Downside for gold is “limited” (especially in sterling)
Gold held steady on Thursday as investors awaited cues on market direction amid a number of geopolitical events later in the day that could boost the safe-haven demand for the metal.
Polling has started in the UK national elections, while the European Central Bank (ECB) may discuss dropping additional stimulus pledges at a meeting later and former United States Federal Bureau of Investigation director James Comey will testify before the U.S. Congress about his interactions with President Donald Trump later in the day.
“Unless there is a major surprise today and the Labor Party gets up over the Conservatives, I doubt there will be much reaction to gold price from the UK election. The market has already priced this,” said Cameron Alexander, an analyst with Thomson Reuters-owned metals consultancy GFMS.
“A more bullish forecast (from ECB meeting) is likely to lead to a movement away from gold to higher-yielding assets, although any move will be modest.”
Spot gold was nearly flat at $1,285.91 per ounce, as of 0809 GMT. U.S. gold futures for August delivery dipped 0.4 percent to $1,288.20 an ounce.
“A lot of things are happening at the same time… There may be some kind of impact that may push up the volatility rather than the direction of price moves,” said Mark To, head of research at Hong Kong’s Wing Fung Financial Group.
The yellow metal fell from a near seven-month high on Wednesday after Comey’s written testimony to the U.S. Senate contained few surprises.
A final flurry of opinion polls gave British Prime Minister Theresa May’s Conservative Party a lead between 5 and 12 percentage points over the main opposition Labour Party, suggesting she would increase her majority – but not win the landslide foreseen when she called the election seven weeks ago.
“With the (UK poll) results coming out during the Asian session on Friday morning, the downside for gold is likely to be limited as we run into the weekend,” said Jeffrey Halley, senior market analyst at OANDA.
Meanwhile, the ECB is likely to keep its easy monetary policy during its meeting as inflation remains below its target despite stronger economic growth in the euro zone.
In other precious metals, palladium gained as much as 0.7 percent to $840.10 an ounce. In the previous session, it hit the highest in nearly three years, but shed its early gains to end 2.3 percent lower. Platinum climbed 0.6 percent to $947.80 per ounce, and silver rose 0.5 percent to $17.63.
News and Commentary
|Avoid Digital & ETF Gold – Key Gold Storage Must Haves|
Gold Prices (LBMA AM)
08 Jun: USD 1,284.80, GBP 992.12 & EUR 1,142.70 per ounce
07 Jun: USD 1,292.70, GBP 1,001.07 & EUR 1,146.62 per ounce
06 Jun: USD 1,287.85, GBP 997.31 & EUR 1,144.77 per ounce
05 Jun: USD 1,280.70, GBP 992.41 & EUR 1,136.88 per ounce
02 Jun: USD 1,260.95, GBP 980.39 & EUR 1,123.88 per ounce
01 Jun: USD 1,266.15, GBP 984.81 & EUR 1,128.01 per ounce
31 May: USD 1,263.80, GBP 987.79 & EUR 1,129.96 per ounce
Silver Prices (LBMA)
08 Jun: USD 17.60, GBP 13.60 & EUR 15.67 per ounce
07 Jun: USD 17.60, GBP 13.64 & EUR 15.71 per ounce
06 Jun: USD 17.56, GBP 13.61 & EUR 15.62 per ounce
05 Jun: USD 17.52, GBP 13.58 & EUR 15.59 per ounce
02 Jun: USD 17.19, GBP 13.37 & EUR 15.33 per ounce
01 Jun: USD 17.13, GBP 13.33 & EUR 15.26 per ounce
31 May: USD 17.31, GBP 13.48 & EUR 15.43 per ounce
Recent Market Updates
– Gold Breaks 6-Year Downtrend On Safe Haven and 50% Surge In Chinese Demand
– Deposit Bail In Risk as Spanish Bank’s Stocks Crash
– Terrorist attacks see Gold Stay Firm
– Trust in the Bigger Picture, Trust in Gold
– Trump, UK and the Middle East drive uncertainty
– Is China manipulating the gold market?
– Why Sharia Gold and Bitcoin Point to a Change in Views
– Bitcoin volatility and why it’s good for gold
– Silver Bullion In Secret Bull Market
– Should I Invest My Fortune in Gold? Inaugural Lecture by Dr Brian Lucey
– Gold and Silver Bullion Now Treated As Money In Arizona
– Manchester Attack Sees Asian Stocks Fall, Gold Firm
– James Rickards: Gold’s “Decisive Turn Around” – “Next Stop Is $1,300 Or Higher”